Thursday, June 30, 2011

One Step Forward and Two Steps Back

Somehow or another David and I traveled through college without the purchase of a futon. Now as my 10 year high school reunion approaches I find myself sitting on the furniture piece that symbolizes dorm life. Maybe in a way it is fitting for us. We've finally moved away from home and separated from our parents. Even during the six years of marriage, support came to us every day. Whether it was in the form of a babysitter, chef, or advisor our parents made it happen. With a three day drive between us those roles now fall to us. This new independence has made us feel like life is moving forward. We also see David's name listed with two important letters behind it, MD. At the same time I find it frustrating that we're still renting, collecting quarters for laundry, and squeezing 4 people (come November) into a 2 bedroom apartment. But when I lean back on our very own futon, purchased with our own funds, I realize that every other couch we've relaxed on was from our parents. It is at least a step forward.

2 comments:

  1. How much of your stuff did you leave behind? I'm guessing couches & washer/dryer at least from what you said:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preggers? Is that what you meant by soon to be 4 people? If so, I had no idea! Congrats on the babe. Congrats on the move. Congrats on almost being done!!! :)

    SS

    ReplyDelete